Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Just Be

We have friendly cat neighbors. "Izzie" the cat likes to wander out of the confines of her fenced-in yard next door to our backyard with its squirrels and birds. My husband is hoping she has a special talent for finding the moles that continue to invade the garden.

Izzie is teaching me to accept cats for who they are. As a person who grew up with dogs, I became accustomed to a furry domesticated animal who wanted to participate in every aspect of my life. "We're eating?--where's my bowl?  Playing in the yard--where's my ball?  Watching TV---I'll lay at your feet, or maybe on your feet.  Taking a shower? I'll lick you dry if you let me."  I didn't say it was all good!  But I did learn that dogs are eager to please, love unconditionally and generally want to be with their owners as much as possible. Dogs seek attention, even from strangers.

And there is the big difference isn't it?   Izzie knows me. I visit her house and she will allow me to pet her for at least 5 seconds.

Visiting our yard this week, the lovely Izzie stayed perched for an time on a log amongst the fallen brown leaves.  I wanted to capture the Kodak moment.  Izzie didn't really think it was a good idea.  First she hid behind a tree and couldn't resist peeking out at me.














Then she found a tiny tree that was perfect for rubbing all over her face.
 









Finally, I got the hint. This posing for the camera stuff, this need to connect with another living creature was only my desire. It had nothing to do with what she wanted and the best way Izzie could explain that was to walk away.






Thankfully, I could turn to nature for comfort and connection.

1 comment: